The long-term preservation of its extraordinary collection of photographic and archival materials is fundamental to the Center’s mission. The responsibility of preserving the collection for future generations is carefully balanced with the need to share it with current generations.
Explore the inner workings of the Center's world-class conservation department:
- Conservation Department: The purpose and goals of the Center's Conservation Department, established in 2012 and led by Dana Hemmenway
- Preventive Conservation: How the Center is ensuring the longevity of collection and archive materials
- Research: Making active contributions to new scholarship on archive artists and photographic materials
- Treatment: Exploring procedures to safely minimize deterioration and prolong the existence of objects at risk
- Resources: Online information on the practice of conservation of historic and artistic works